Useful salad bed
Whatever the size of the garden - small or large, any hostess wants to smash beds with odorous greens and fresh salads. Many will now confirm what a special pleasure it is to pick up a crispy salad, your favorite parsley or dill in your window. Even people far from garden cares, one way or another, indulge themselves with useful greenery grown by their own hands, even on the same windowsill. I also have such a bed. You will not believe it, but it brings me not only useful vitamin goodies, but also a kind of pleasure and inspiration. My useful bed is constantly in the process of updating, that is, life is boiling on it, plants are constantly being updated because of their high demand.
What you need to know about the salad bed?
- On a useful bed with greens, life passes in three stages: some salads, as soon as they are sent to the dinner table, the second gain strength and grow up, and the third are sown in pursuit of the rest.
- Combine the salads according to the ripening dates of the variety (early ripe and late ripe) and then a fresh crispy salad will be on your table from May until the first frost.
- Growing different varieties of salads, you will always have on the table a variety of taste and vitamin qualities dishes from healthy herbs.
- The chemical composition of the salad includes the best and most part of the periodic table, these are such important elements as magnesium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, zinc, chromium, folic acid, and also countless vitamins. The main ones are C, B1, B2, B5, B6, PP, E, A and this is not the limit.
- The bitter taste in some salads causes a useful substance - the alkaloid lactucin, which has a positive effect on the nervous and digestive systems, normalizes blood pressure, sleep and metabolism.
- If you decide to go on a diet, then a useful bed is the first assistant in this matter. All salads are low-calorie and are a dietary product. They have a large amount of fiber and dietary fiber, which helps to cleanse the body like a broom.
So, what to choose and plant on our useful bed? Modern breeders have brought a great variety of varieties of salads. I combined them all into large major groups of several varieties.
Top 14 Healthy Greens
1. Iceberg - salad with delicate, crispy leaves, neutral, very fresh taste. It forms loose loafers with a diameter of 10-20 cm. It is sown with an interval of 2 weeks all season, starting from the period when the soil thaws by 4 cm and the last time at the end of August.
2. Lettuce leaf and head - represented by a very large number of varieties with different intensities of taste and bitterness. They grow in the form of a basal rosette or loose head. New beds are planted in the soil either in seedlings or seeds at the earliest possible dates and throughout the warm period every 1-2 weeks.
3. Arugula - the legendary plant, recognized as a panacea for many diseases, has a spicy mustard and slightly buttery taste, it is especially delicious accompanied by meat or as an additional and piquant note in vegetable and green salads. Sown in the garden 4-5 times per season, easily propagated by self-sowing.
4. Watercress - An early-salad salad that is ready to go on a plate 10-20 days after germination. It has a pleasant bitter-spicy taste. Sown with an interval of 12-15 days. Also great for growing on the windowsill, adding comfort in the kitchen.
5. Radiccio - A favorite of all Italians with a signature bitter and spicy taste. It grows in the form of a dense head of burgundy red with thick contrasting veins of white. Depending on the variety, it is sown from early May to late August.
6. Romain - Another "legend" in cooking, because its leaves are an integral part of Caesar salad. It grows loose or compressed to the center rosettes with a thick juicy central vein, famous for its freshness with a light nutty flavor. Sown every 3-4 weeks.
7. Ramson - the very first greens that appears on our beds when both onions and garlic only start growing. It has a soft garlic flavor and resembles lily of the valley bushes. Grown as a perennial bulbous plant, always in the shade. The very first spring leaves are most tasty and healthy.
8. Fennel - received a name from gardeners - sweet dill. Appearance corresponds to the appearance of dill, with large rosettes and growth power. It is a source of ascorbic acid, a large amount of rutin, vitamins B, E, K, A. Gives dishes a sweet anise flavor. All parts of the plant are used in food - a false bulb, leaves and seeds. It is sown 1-3 times per season.
9. Luke - Another large group of plants, represented by different species. These are onions, shallots, leeks, batuns, chives, slimes and multi-tiered onions. This also includes garlic. These are all perennial plants, which, growing on the same bed, will always come to the table with any dishes. The richest storehouse of the most valuable vitamins and useful elements.
10. Sorrel and spinach - perennial plants growing basal rosette of very useful leaves. The spinach is not unreasonably credited with incredible properties that make a person healthy and strong. They have a sour taste, sorrel is a little more intense, an excellent addition to green salads, first courses, like the main filling in ravioli and much more. It is sown once a year in spring or before winter, as in the second year it leaves for flowering and often disappears after winter.
11. Celery - a plant, listing the useful properties of which is worthy of a thesis. It has a recognizable "celery" taste and aroma. Two types of celery are suitable for our garden - leaf and stem, which grow in the form of a short bush or a powerful plant with thick juicy basal petioles. It is grown by seedlings or by direct sowing in the soil at the end of April once a year.
12. Parsley - An extremely useful plant that re-peels five times the lemon in terms of vitamin C and carrots in terms of carotene. An indispensable addition to summer salads, adds a home-like taste to it. Sowing is carried out annually in the early spring or before the first frosts in late autumn.
13. Cucumber grass - A great substitute for a cucumber when he hardly got out of the ground, and in utility he goes much ahead of him. Grows with a basal rosette of rough leaves with a cucumber fresh smell and taste. It begins to bloom very quickly, so sowing is carried out every 3-4 weeks.
14. Mangold - A spectacular plant that invariably becomes the decoration of any garden. This is a basal rosette of leaves on long, and most importantly, bright - raspberry, snow-white, yellow or orange petioles. They eat stalks and leaves as spinach. Mainly contributes to the removal of insoluble salts from the body and improves immunity. It is sown like beets - in April-May, once a season.
Salad beds can be issued no worse than a beautiful flower garden. Any greens and salads, like flowers, have a different shape and color. So even from a simple garden, you can create landscape masterpieces. Also, a useful bed is complemented by spicy herbs: dill, tarragon or tarragon, basil, cilantro, thyme, oregano, marjoram, basil, mint, melissa, caraway seeds and many others.
To get the bed:
- A useful bed is laid in late autumn, when parsley, sorrel, spinach and garlic can be planted on it. In early spring, the entire range of salads and plants selected in advance is sown.
- A plot of land for this is being dug up, fertilized only with organic fertilizers, because what we put in the garden, then we will receive it in greenery, and as a result, in our body.
- Seeds are sown in parallel beds to a depth of 1-3 cm. After sowing, the soil is thoroughly moistened with moisture in the form of light rain from a watering can or using special plants.
- Care for your favorite beds consists of watering, weeding and regularly sowing fresh seeds of new plants. So that the seeds germinate better in the summer, the soil with freshly sown seeds is mulched on top with peat, sawdust of non-coniferous species, the peel of seeds, crushed bark or grass collected after mowing the lawn.
A useful garden is valuable for its variety, availability and freshness of products. It is proved that greens already in a couple of hours after cutting lose up to 70% of useful properties and vitamins. To grow such useful greens in your garden or windowsill is available to everyone, and the vitamin supply to the body is guaranteed!
© Greenmarket - Read also the blog.